The goals and specific strengths that the Shortridge Academy
program is designed to develop are:
- Build healthy decision-making and critical thinking skills by developing a personal value system for making good choices, and becoming comfortable seeking adult advice when appropriate.
- Establish and maintain trusting relationships by forming mutually supportive connections with family, peers, and other adults.
- Embrace and implement a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and a balanced diet, by embracing a sound attitude toward their bodies and their sexuality, and by managing risk-seeking impulses in a positive way.
- Recognize and develop individual leadership potential by understanding the elements of responsibility, and ultimately learning to be strong and positive role models themselves.
- Create personal goals and identify the resources and strategies to achieve them by establishing and working toward short and long-term objectives, including plans for life transitions.
- Develop resiliency and self-efficacy by increasing confidence and social competence, reinforced by thoughtful practice of coping skills during times of discomfort.
- Establish a more positive role within the family by discovering how best to contribute to the dynamics of their family system.